Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 166, Issue 7-8, Pages: 91-95
Hlaváček, P. (2017). Use of innovation vouchers for the regional innovation environment development. Economic Annals-XXI, 166(7-8), 91-95. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V166-18
PhD (Human Geography and Regional Development),
Department of Regional Development and Public Administration,
Jan Evangelista Purkyně University in Ústí nad Labem
1 Pasteurova Str., Ústí nad Labem, 400 96, the Czech Republic
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3922-5739
Use of innovation vouchers for the regional innovation environment development
Abstract. The author examines the evaluation of the regional innovation system in the Czech Republic and focuses on the assessment of the public policy tool known as the innovation voucher. Using the Ústí Region as an example, the article aims to analyze the Innovation Voucher Programme and the group of companies that used the vouchers, and whether these companies have the potential to grow while positively impacting the growth of the region’s economic potential. Based on the analyses of the business results, it was found that the Innovation Voucher Programme supported the growth of the companies, which now achieve better economic results and have improved efficiency including the creation of new jobs. It can be concluded that the Innovation Voucher Programme strengthens the innovative companies’ development and contributes to the sectoral restructuring of the region, which, due to its historically significant mining and heavy industry, needs development of innovative companies in new sectors with growth potential.
Keywords: Innovation Voucher; Czech Republic; Region; Ústí Region; Innovation Policy; Regional Innovation System
JEL Classification: O33; O38; R58
Acknowledgements: This article has been prepared under the Smart Accelerator for the Ústí Region project No. CZ.02.2.69/0.0/0.0/15_004/0000690 of the Research, Development, and Education Operation Programme (OP VVV), implemented by the Innovative Centre of Ústí Region, z.s.
- Audretsch, D., & Caiazza, R. (2016). Technology transfer and entrepreneurship: cross-national analysis. Journal of Technology Transfer, 41(6), 1247-1259.
- Bathelt, H., Malmberg, A., & Maskell, P. (2004). Clusters and knowledge: local buzz, global pipelines and the process of knowledge creation. Progress in Human Geography, 28(1), 31-56.
- Blažek, J. (2012). Regional innovation systems and global production networks: Two Views on the Source of Competitiveness in the Present-Day World? Geografie, 117(2), 209-233.
Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298417005_Regional_innovation_systems_and_global_production_networks_Two_views_on_the_source_of_competitiveness_in_the_present-day_World (in Czech)
- Cooke, P., Uranga, M. G., & Etxebarria, G. (1997). Regional innovation systems: institutional and organisational dimensions. Research Policy, 26(4-5), 475-491.
- Cornet, M., Vroomen, B., & Van der Steeg, M. (2006). Do Innovation Vouchers Help SMEs to Cross the Bridge towards Science? CBP Discussion Paper, 58.
Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5007937_Do_innovation_vouchers_help_SMEs_to_cross_the_bridge_towards_science
- Czech Statistical Office (2017). Innovation activities of the enterprises in the Czech Republic in 2012-2014.
Retrieved from https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/inovacni-aktivity-podniku-v-cr-2012-az-2014 (in Czech)
- Doloreux, D. (2002). What we should know about regional systems of innovation. Technology in Society, 24(3), 243-263.
- Good, B., & Thiefenthaler, B. (2011). Innovation voucher – small is beautiful. Plattform Forschungs und Technologieevaluierung, 1-10.
Retrieved from http://www.academia.edu/1535298/Innovation_voucher_-_small_is_beautiful
- Etzkowitz, H., & Leydesdorffb, L. (2000). The Dynamics of Innovation: From National Systems and «Mode 2» to a Triple Helix of University-Industry-Government Relations. Research Policy, 29(2), 109-123.
- Hemert, P., Nijkamp, P., & Masurel, E. (2013). From innovation to commercialization through networks and agglomerations: analysis of sources of innovation, innovation capabilities and performance of Dutch SMEs. The Annals of Regional Science, 50(2), 425-452.
- Kačírek, P. (2015). Demographic ageing in the old industrial regions – specifics and links on the example of the Ústí nad Labem Region (N The Czech Republic). GeoScape, 9(1), 24-32.
Retrieved from https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/geosc.2015.9.issue-1/geosc-2015-0003/geosc-2015-0003.xml
- Kozun-Cieslak, G. (2016). Two Faces of Regional Innovativeness – The Evidence from Visegrad Group States. 19th International Colloquium on Regional Sciences. Brno: Masaryk University, 325-331.
Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Grazyna_Kozun-Cieslak/publication/304344115_Two_faces_of_regional_innovativeness_-_The_evidence_from_Visegrad_Group_states/links/59804316458515687b4fa68d/Two-faces-of-regional-innovativeness-The-evidence-from-Visegrad-Group-states.pdf
- Langhorn, K. (2014). Encouraging entrepreneurship with innovation vouchers: Recent experience, lessons, and research directions. Canadian Public Administration, 57(2), 318-326.
- Matulova, P., Stemberkova, R. Zdralek, P., Maresová, P., & Kuca, K. (2015). Innovation vouchers as a segment of regional innovation strategy. Procedia Economics and Finance, 26, 842-848.
- Nijkamp, P., Zwetsloot, F., & Van der Wal, S. (2010). Innovation and Growth Potentials of European Regions: A Meta-Multicriteria Analysis. European Planning Studies, 18(4).
- Novák, V., & Drdová, E. (2013). Economic Performance Resurgence of The Automotive Industry in the Czech Republic During The Economic Crisis, Focusing on The Usti Region. 16th International Colloquium on Regional Sciences, Valtice, Brno: Masaryk University, 168-173.
Retrieved from https://is.muni.cz/do/econ/soubory/katedry/kres/4884317/41725568/21_2013.pdf (in Czech)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) (1992). Oslo Manual: The Measurement of Scientific and Technological Activities.
Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/science/inno/2367580.pdf
- Sala, A., Landoni, P., & Verganti, R. (2016). Small and Medium Enterprises collaborations with knowledge intensive services: an explorative analysis of the impact of innovation vouchers. R&D Management, 46(S1), 291-302.
- Strahl, D., & Sobczak, R. (2017). Conceptual roots for innovation and innovativeness of the economy in Poland. GeoScape, 11(1), 41-51.
- Sucháček, J. (2013). Investment location from the perspective of urban and regional activities in the Czech Republic. 9th International Scientific Conference Financial Management of Firms and Financial Institutions. Ostrava: VŠB-TU Ostrava, 851-857.
- Žítek, V., & Klímová, V. (2015). Regional innovation strategy as a path for implementation of innovation policy. 18th International Colloquium on Regional Sciences. Brno: Masaryk University, 155-160.
Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280308689_Regional_innovation_strategy_as_a_path_for_implementation_of_innovation_policy (in Czech)