Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 172, Issue 7-8, Pages: 44-50
Mudrak, R., Lagodiienko, V., & Lagodiienko, N. (2018). Impact of aggregate expenditures on the volume of national production. Economic Annals-XXI, 172(7-8), 44-50. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V172-08
Uman National University of Horticulture
1 Institutska Str., Uman, Cherkasy region, 20305, Ukraine
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1189-5463
Odesa National Academy of Food Technologies
112 Kanatna Str., Odesa, 65039, Ukraine
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9768-5488
Mykolayiv National Agrarian University
9 Georgii Gongadze Str., Mykolayiv, 54020, Ukraine
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8472-1395
Impact of aggregate expenditures on the volume of national production
Abstract. Ukrainian economy, which is recovering after the severe crisis in 2009, has shown obvious signs of macroeconomic instability over the last five years, namely the slowdown of economic growth in 2012-2013 and the recession during the 2014-2015 period. One of the main reasons for this is the irrational structure of national consumption. The present study allows finding out that the biggest defects of the structure of the aggregate expenditures of the Ukrainian economy are the reduction in the share of gross capital formation and an increase in the share of net export with minus. The main factors hampering private capital formation in Ukraine are the reduction of national savings and excessive market concentration. Rapid inflation rates and an extremely low level of confidence in financial intermediaries from the part of Ukrainian households to buy foreign currencies, which they save as non-performing assets (cash). This is an extraction of resources from the «profits-expenditures» flow, which do not work for the economy and are extremely scarce. The chronic negative net export of Ukraine is connected with unsatisfactory terms of trade, because high-tech science-intensive products and excessive amounts of hydrocarbons are imported, and the products with a low level of processing are mainly exported. This is explained by the insufficient tempo of technological modernisation of the Ukrainian economy and innovation lag: 40% of workers employed in the industry are engaged in the production at the low technological level, about 20% – at the average level and only 2.5% – at the high level. The increase of GDP due to the introduction of new technologies in Ukraine is estimated at 0.7-1%, while in developed countries it reaches 60% and more. Comparison of Ukraine with other European countries in terms of aggregate expenditures structure in 2012-2017 substantiated the need for deep structural change in the country.
Keywords: Aggregate Expenditures; Recessionary Gap; Gross Capital Formation; National Savings; Net Exports; Monopolies; Ratchet Effect; Economic Restructuring; Withdrawal; Technological Level; Lagging
JEL Classification: E12; E20; F14
- Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine (2017). Report of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine for 2016.
Retrieved from http://www.amc.gov.ua/amku/doccatalog/document?id=133712& (in Ukr.)
- Beaudry, P., & Portier, F. (2014). Understanding Noninflationary Demand-Driven Business Cycles. NBER Macroeconomics Annual, 28(1), 69-130.
- Bhagwati, J. N. (1958). Immiserizing Growth: A Geometrical Note. The Review of Economic Studies, 25(3), 201-205.
- Bivens, J. (2017, December 12). Inequality is slowing US economic growth: Faster wage growth for low- and middle-wage workers is the solution. Washington, DC: Economic Policy Institute.
Retrieved from https://www.epi.org/publication/secular-stagnation
- Brovynskaia, М. (2016). In one hands: who is behind the 10 largest monopolies of Ukraine. LihaBiznes.
Retrieved from http://www.svb.ua/news/v-odnikh-rukakh-khto-stoit-za-10-naibilshimi-monopoliyami-ukraini?page=51 (in Ukr.)
- Chekh, M., & Semiv, G. (2017). Shocks of the aggregate demand and balance of payment equilibrium in dependent economy. Economic Annals-XXI, 163(1-2(1)), 47-51.
doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V163-10 (in Ukr.)
- Davanzati, G. F., & Pacella, A. (2013). The profits-investments puzzle: A Post Keynesian-Institutional interpretation. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 26. 1-13.
- Decree of the President of Ukraine (2015). About the Strategy of Sustainable Development «Ukraine-2020» No. 5. Ofitsiinyi visnyk Ukrainy (Official Bulletin of Ukraine), 4, 8 (in Ukr.).
- Dekhtyar, N., Boyarko, I., & Deyneka, O. (2013). Government expenditures in the economy of the state. Monograph.
Retrieved from https://essuir.sumdu.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/50072/2/Boiarko_Dekhtiar_Deineka.pdf (in Ukr.)
- Dutt, A. K., & Ros, J. (2007). Aggregate demand shocks and economic growth. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 18(1), 75-99.
- Dutt, A. K., & Skott, P. (1996). Keynesian theory and the aggregate-supply/aggregate-demand framework: a defense. Eastern Economic Journal, 22(3), 313-331.
Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/40325721
- Dutt, A. K., & Skott, P. (2005). Keynesian Theory and the AD-AS framework: a reconsideration. Economics Department Working Paper Series, No. 47.
Retrieved from https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1057&context=econ_workingpaper
- Dybuk, V. Ya., & Osidach, O. B. (2014). Activization the participation of Ukraine in the new technological order as innovative breakthroughs way and capacity of profitability. Innovatsiina ekonomika (Innovative economy), 51(2), 31-39 (in Ukr.).
- Eurostat (2017). Database. Official web-site.
Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/data/database
- Fedorova, Yu. V. (2016). Prospects of innovation development of Ukraine: technological levels. Visnyk Khmelnytskoho natsionalnoho universytetu (Herald of Khmelnytsky National University), 1, 123-126 (in Ukr.).
- Friedman, M. (1968). The Role of Monetary Policy. The American Economic Review, 58(1), 1-17.
Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/1831652
- Giroud, X., & Mueller, H. M. (2017). Firm Leverage, Consumer Demand, and Employment Losses During the Great Recession. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 132(1), 271-316.
- Gordon, R. J. (1981). Inflation, Flexible Exchange Rates, and the Natural Rate of Unemployment. NBER Working Paper No. 708. Cambridge MA.
Retrieved from https://www.nber.org/papers/w0708.pdf
- Hartwig, J. (2015). Structural change, aggregate demand and employment dynamics in the OECD, 1970-2010. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 34, 36-45.
- Hohnisch, M., & Westerhoff, F. (2008). Business cycle synchronization in a simple Keynesian macro-model with socially transmitted economic sentiment and international sentiment spill-over. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 19(3), 249-259.
- Jahan, S., Mahmud, A. S. (2013). What Is the Output Gap? Finance & Development, 50(3), 38-39.
Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2013/09/basics.htm
- Keynes, J. M. (1936). The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money. London: Macmillan Publishing Company.
Retrieved from https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/125515/1366_KeynesTheoryofEmployment.pdf
- Kulykov, H. (2016, April 8). How to break up a vicious circle of low wages. ZN.ua.
Retrieved from: https://dt.ua/macrolevel/yak-rozirvati-porochne-kolo-nizkih-zarobitnih-plat-_.html (in Ukr.)
- Makin, J. А. (2010). Did Australia’s Fiscal Stimulus Counter Recession?: Evidence from the National Accounts. Agenda: A Journal of Policy Analysis and Reform, 17(2), 5-16.
Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/43199629
- Makin, J. А. (2010). How Should Macroeconomic Policy Respond to Foreign Financial Crises? Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 29(2), 99-108.
- Mankiw, N. G. (1994). Macroeconomics (2nd edition). New York: Worth Publishers.
- Michaillat, P., & Saez, E. (2015). Aggregate Demand, Idle Time, and Unemployment. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 130(2), 507-569.
- Ekonomichna pravda (2017). «Naftogas» bought gas worth 1.6. bln US Dollars in 2016.
Retrieved from https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2017/01/19/618072 (in Ukr.)
- Neto, A. S. M., & Porcile, G. (2017). Destabilizing austerity: Fiscal policy in a BOP-dominated macrodynamics. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 43, 39-50.
- OECD (2017). Statistics. Official web-site.
Retrieved from http://stats.oecd.org
- Okhrymenko, А. (2015, April 6). NBU has calculated how much each Ukrainian keeps «under the pillow». UBR.
Retrieved from https://ubr.ua/business-practice/personal-property/nbu-podschital-skolko-kajdyi-ukrainec-hranit-pod-podushkoi-334684 (in Ukr.)
- Palazuelos, E., & Fernández, R. (2009). Demand, employment, and labor productivity in the European economies. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 20 (1), 1-15.
- Phelps, E. S. (1967). Philips Curves, Expectations of Inflation, and Optimal Unemployment over Time. Economica, 34(135), 254-281.
- Prykhodko, T. I. (2012). Structural transformation and macroinstability. In M. I. Skrypnychenko (Ed.), Factors of macroeconomic instability in the system of economic development (pp. 123-201).
Retrieved from http://ief.org.ua/docs/mg/99.pdf (in Ukr.)
- Schoder, C. (2017). Are Dynamic Stochastic Disequilibrium models Keynesian or neoclassical? Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 40, 46-63.
- Serrano, F., & Summa, R. (2015). Aggregate demand and the slowdown of Brazilian economic growth in 2011-2014. Nova Economia, 25(n. especial), 803-833.
- Setterfield, M., & Kim, Y. K. (2016). Debt servicing, aggregate consumption, and growth. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 36, 22-33.
- Setterfield, M., & Suresh, S. G. (2016). Multi-agent systems as a tool for analyzing path-dependent macrodynamics. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 38, 25-37.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2017). Official web-site.
Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua (in Ukr.)
- Steblianko, I. O. (2015). Gross domestic product of Ukraine: spatial and structural dynamics. Ekonomika ta Derzhava (Economy and State), 51-54.
Retrieved from http://www.economy.in.ua/pdf/11_2015/15.pdf (in Ukr.)
- Tcherneva, P. R. (2008). Keynes’s Approach to Full Employment: Aggregate or Targeted Demand? The Levy Economics Institute Working Paper, No. 542, 15-17.
Retrieved from http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_542.pdf
- The World Bank (2017). Indicators. Official web-site.
Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator
- Vasilyev, O. (2012). The forecast of the unemployment rate in Ukraine. Ekonomika Ukrainy (Economy of Ukraine), 4, 41-46 (in Ukr.).
- Zaslavska, М. (2012, August 20). Paradise for the oligarchs. Ukraine has the ideal opportunity for the prosperity of monopolies. Tyzhden.ua.
Retrieved from: http://tyzhden.ua/Economics/57500 (in Ukr.)