Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 174, Issue 11-12, Pages: 63-68
Zaenchkovsky, A. (2018). Prospects of non-ferrous metallurgy enterprises participation in industrial clusters. Economic Annals-XXI, 174(11-12), 63-68. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V174-10
Smolensk Branch of the National Research University «MPEI»
1 Energeticheskiy Proezd Str., Smolensk, 214013, Russian Federation
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6549-9293
Prospects of non-ferrous metallurgy enterprises participation in industrial clusters
Abstract. Formation of industrial clusters network facilitates the competitive potential of territories. Such a development paradigm is defined as the main paradigm among the majority of world countries. This article studies the implementation of clusters in industry, in particular in EU, the impact of clusters on the competitiveness and localisation of areas, as well as the promotion of growth and scientific and industrial potential of the country as a whole.
The article describes the existing prerequisites for the creation of clusters with the participation of non-ferrous metallurgy enterprises. It is shown that currently clustering processes are not being implemented actively enough in the relevant industries, which does not allow us to fully realise scientific and industrial potential of enterprises in the areas of their cluster location.
The analysis of existing methods of industrial clustering has shown the presence of the identification stage with evaluating integration potential of possible participants based on the calculation of specific quantitative indicators for the localisation of clusters – the so called cluster identification procedure. The results of the analysis also make it possible to justify the expediency of choosing the methodology proposed by the National Research University «Higher School of Economics» and the North-West Foundation as a procedure used to identify industrial clusters in non-ferrous metallurgy, which provides the most complete reflection of the functional areas of industrial clusters. The author proposes to apply the specified procedure when calculating concentration indicators such as the personnel potential, high-performance workplaces, innovations which allow estimating the degree of participants’ interaction potential in non-ferrous metallurgy, which will increase the number of high-performance workplaces, labour productivity and commercialise scientific and technical developments.
The procedure of identification of industrial clusters in non-ferrous metallurgy, which was supplemented by the author, was used to analyse two already formed clusters of non-ferrous metallurgy enterprises in Chelyabinsk region (implementation of scientific and production processes associated with the extraction of copper ore, production of copper and copper products) and Krasnoyarsk region (aluminium), as well as the cluster already functioning in Sverdlovsk region, associated with titanium products. The results of the research makes it possible to draw a conclusion about the expediency of spreading the above-mentioned «titanium», «copper» and «aluminium» clustering practices in the territorial integration processes in the Russian non-ferrous metallurgy, taking into account the need to enhance innovation.
Keywords: Industrial Cluster; Non-ferrous Metallurgy Enterprises; Cluster Identification; Industrial Cluster Indicators; Non-ferrous Metallurgy Development; Titanium; Copper; Aluminium
JEL Classification: L52; R13
Acknowledgements: The reported study was funded by RFBR according to Research Project No. 18-310-00222\18.
- Billings, S. B., & Johnson, E. B. (2012). The location quotient as an estimator of industrial concentration. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 42(4), 642-647.
- Bode, A., Talmon l’Armee, T. B., & Alig, S. (2010). Research note: clusters vs. networks – A literature-based approach towards an integrated concept. International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business, 4(1), 92-110.
- Brenner, T. (2006). Identification of Local Industrial Clusters in Germany. Regional Studies, 40(9), 991-1014.
- Centre for the Disclosure of Corporate Information (2018). Industrial production.
Retrieved from http://www.e-disclosure.ru (in Russ.)
- Choe, K., & Roberts, B. (2011). Competitive cities in the 21st century: Cluster-based local economic development. Mandaluyong City, Philippines: Asian Development Bank.
Retrieved from https://abclusters.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/cluster-based-local-economic-development.pdf
- Dadov, A. T. (2012). The use of input-output table for identifying territorial-production complex (on example of the U.S. industry). Regional Studies, 1(35), 27-34.
Retrieved from http://www.shu.ru/pages/mag/RI_2012_01(35).pdf (in Russ.)
- Danko, T. P., & Kutsenko, E. S. (2012). The main approaches to the identification of clusters in the regional economy. Problemy sovremennoi ekonomiki (Problems of the Modern Economy), 1, 248-253
Retrieved from https://cyberleninka.ru/article/v/osnovnye-podhody-k-vyyavleniyu-klasterov-v-ekonomike-regiona (in Russ.)
- Delgado, M., Porter, M. E., & Stern, E. (2014). Clusters, convergence, and economic performance. Research Policy, 43(10), 1785-1799.
- Duranton, G., & Overman, H. G. (2005). Testing for localization using micro-geographic data. The Review of Economic Studies, 72(4), 1077-1106.
- European Commission (2008). Innovation clusters in Europe. A statistical analysis and overview of current policy support.
Retrieved from https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/e3faceb1-1796-44a9-908c-d9cec5ec338f
- European Commission (2015). European Cluster Observatory report.
Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/policy/cluster/observatory_en
- European Commission (2016). Smart Guide to Cluster Policy.
- European Commission (2018). Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs. Non-ferrous metals.
Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/raw-materials/industries/metals/non-ferrous_en
- European Secretariat for Cluster Analysis (2012). Benchmarking as a Tool for Cluster Analysis. Berlin.
Retrieved from https://www.cluster-analysis.org/downloads/ESCA_leaflet_March2012.pdf
- Federal State Statistics Service (Russian Federation) (2018). Industrial Production. Official web-site.
Retrieved from http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/enterprise/industrial/# (in Russ.)
- Feldman, M. P. (2014). The character of innovative places: entrepreneurial strategy, economic development, and prosperity. Small Business Economics, 43(1), 9-20.
- Gokhberg, L. M., & Shadrin, A. E. (2015). Pilot innovative territorial clusters in the Russian Federation: directions for the implementation of development programs. Moscow: HSE (in Russ.).
- HSE and the CSR «North-West» (2014). Management System for Managing Companies of Innovative Territorial Clusters of the Russian Federation. Report.
Retrieved from https://www.rvc.ru/upload/iblock/946/201403_management_companies_clusters.pdf (in Russ.)
- Information Agency Business District (2018). Russian copper company invests in the economy of the Southern Urals more than 120 billion rubles.
Retrieved from http://chel.dk.ru/news/russkaya-mednaya-kompaniya-investiruet-v-ekonomiku-yuzhnogo-urala-bolee-120-mlrd-rub-237111551 (in Russ.)
- Kutsenko, E. S. (2009). Clusters in economics: the practice of identifying. Generalization of foreign experience. Obozrevatel (Observer), 237(10), 109-126.
Retrieved from https://publications.hse.ru/articles/87702244 (in Russ.)
- Kutsenko, E. S. (2012). The influence of clusters on the innovation activity of enterprises in the regions of the Russian Federation: the results of an empirical study. Collection of the XII International Scientific Conference on the problems of economic and social development. Moscow: HSE (in Russ.).
- Lee, Ch.-Y. (2018). Geographical clustering and firm growth: Differential growth performance among clustered firms. Research Policy, 47(6), 1173-1184.
- Lindqvist, G. (2009). Disentangling Clusters. Agglomeration and Proximity Effects. (Doctoral dissertation). The Economic Research Institute Stockholm School of Economics, Stockholm.
Retrieved from http://reglab.dk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/disentangling.pdf
- Marchev, I. (2017). Krasnoyarsk technological valley. Aluminum Bulletin, 3, 6-7.
Retrieved from http://arko24.ru/uploads/static_file/file/74/Vestnik_April.pdf (in Russ.)
- Marshall, A. (2013). Principles of Political Economy. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Office of the Federal State Statistics Service for the Krasnoyarsk Territory, the Republic of Khakassia and the Republic of Tyva (Krasnoyarskstat) (2018). Industrial Production.
Retrieved from http://krasstat.gks.ru (in Russ.)
- Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (1999). Boosting Innovation: the cluster approach. OECD Proceedings.
Retrieved from https://www.hse.ru/mirror/pubs/share/212169923
- Patent Information Portal Orbit (2018). Applications for patents and utility models of Alcoa and UC RUSAL (in Russ.).
- Polozhentseva, Y., & Klevtsova, M. (2015). Instruments of Development of Cluster Policy: Stages, Models, International Practice. Procedia Economics and Finance, 27, 529-537.
- Porter, M. (1990). The competitive advantage of nations. Hard business review, 3, 73-91.
Retrieved from https://hbr.org/1990/03/the-competitive-advantage-of-nations
- Porter, M. E. (2003). The economic performance of regions. Regional Studies, 37(6-7), 549-578.
- Rastvortseva, S. (2017). Agglomeration economics in regions: the case in the Russian industry. Regional Science Inquiry, 9(2), 45-54.
Retrieved from https://publications.hse.ru/articles/212433207
- Rosenfeld, S. A. (1997). Bringing Business Clusters into the Mainstream of Economic Development. European Planning Studies, 5(1), 3-23.
- Shakya, M. (2009). Clusters for competitiveness. A Practical Guide & Policy Implications for Developing Cluster Initiatives.
- Sölvell, Ö., Ketels, C., & Lindqvist, G. (2008). Industrial specialization and regional clusters in the ten new EU member states. An International Business, 18(1-2), 104-130.
- The Federal Customs Service of the Russian Federation (2018). Statistics of foreign trade of the Russian Federation.
Retrieved from http://www.customs.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26274:20 (in Russ.)
- The State Duma (Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation) (2005). On special economic zones in the Russian Federation. Federal Law No. 116-FZ.
Retrieved from http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_54599 (in Russ.)
- The Territorial Body of the Federal State Statistics Service for the Chelyabinsk Region (Chelyabinskstat). (2018). Industrial Production.
Retrieved from http://chelstat.gks.ru (in Russ.)
- Timothy, L. F. (2016). Future Industry Cluster Design Methodology, 1, Issue 1.
Retrieved from https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/jedhe/article/download/19615/28941