Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 187, Issue 1-2, Pages: 163-176
Kaletnik, H., & Zdyrko, N. (2021). Public financial control in Ukraine: state, problems, prospects. Economic Annals-XXI, 187(1-2), 163-176. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V187-16
Academician, NAAS of Ukraine,
Vinnytsia National Agrarian University
3 Sonyachna Str., Vinnytsia, 21008, Ukraine
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4848-2796
Dean, Faculty of Accounting and Audit,
Vinnytsia National Agrarian University
3 Sonyachna Str., Vinnytsia, 21008, Ukraine
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5968-3502
Public financial control in Ukraine: state, problems, prospects
Abstract. The authors assess the current state of public financial control in Ukraine, identifies its main problematic aspects and suggests ways to solve them. There is a direct interdependence between increasing the level of corruption and weakening the effectiveness of public financial control. Forms and types of public financial control are considered depending on controlling subjects. The authors identify forms of public sector audit according to the ISSAI standards which include financial audit, performance audit and compliance audit. The paper touches upon the necessity of legislative introduction of audit of conformity with the corresponding definition of the purpose, tasks, subjects, objects, methods and procedures. It is proposed to implement the Standard for Auditing the Compliance of Public Resources, which will define general provisions, principles and criteria of compliance audit, as well as the procedure for planning, directions, methods and control points in its implementation, generalization and implementation of results. The main generalized indicators of activity of the Accounting Chamber in the period between 2009 and 2019 are presented and the basic trends in the development of the public financial control are covered. It characterizes the number of inspected objects, prepared reports, the volume of detected violations, the number of relevant response documents and the amount of estimated funding. The structure of identified violations in the main areas includes violations of the budget legislation, inefficient management of funds and violations of the administration of the revenue side of the state budget. The basic criteria for carrying out performance audit are defined and their analytical assessment is provided. The main directions of improvement of the public financial control with the use of key characteristics of the concept of good governance are offered, the fundamentals of which include the rule of law, equality, inclusiveness, efficiency, transparency and accountability. It is recommended to introduce and use a unified report on budget offenses, which will facilitate communication between regulatory authorities and allow for receiving, processing and storeing large amounts of information on the results of auditing.
Keywords: Public Financial Control; Budget Violations; Audit Standard; Performance Audit; Compliance Audit; Financial Audit; Report on Violations
JEL Classification: G28; H19; M41
Acknowledgements and Funding: The authors received no direct funding for this research.
Contribution: Each author contributed equally to the research.
- Accounting Chamber of Ukraine. (2019). Reports for 2009-2019.
http://rp.gov.ua/Activity/Reports (in Ukr.)
- Alaverdyan, K., & Aleksanyan, R. (2018). Auditing Regulation in the Republic of Armenia. Financial Journal, 5, 130-135.
https://doi.org/10.31107/2075-1990-2018-5-130-135 (in Russ.)
- Ali, A., Selamat, M., Gloeck, J., & Heang, L. (2010). Internal audit in the state and local governments of Malaysia: problems and solutions. International Journal of Accounting and Finance, 2(2), 192-219.
- Alm, J., Cox, J., & Sadiraj, V. (2019). Audit state dependent taxpayer compliance: theory and evidence from Colombia. Economic Inquiry, 58(2), 819-833.
- Atanelishvili, T., Chikviladze, M., & Silagadze, N. (2017). About state financial control. EcoForum, 6(1), 47-51.
- Bardash, S., & Osadcha, T. (2020). Current status of state financial control of Ukraine and ways of its improvement. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 6(2), 17-24.
- Bohdaniuk, I., Kolisnichenko, V., & Ustymenko, O. (2018). Audit as a form of control of the state financial inspection of Ukraine. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 4(5), 31-35.
- Bush, G. (2019). Financial development and the effects of capital controls. Open Economies Review, 30, 559-592.
- Falko, Yu. V. (2013). Interaction of executive bodies of Ukraine in the field of public procurement management. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Nacionalnoyi akademiyi derzhavnoho upravlinnia pry Prezydentovi Ukrayiny (Collection of scientific works of the National Academy of Public Administration under the President of Ukraine), 2, 90-102 (in Ukr.).
- Florin, R., Ciprian, G., & Tăbîrcă, A. (2016). The place and role of information system in exercising the financial control. Valahian Journal of Economic Studies, 7(2), 63-68.
- Free, C., Radcliffe, V., Spence, C., & Stein, M. (2020). Auditing and the development of the modern state. Contemporary Accounting Research, 37(1), 485-513.
- Grytsyshen, D., & Nazarenko, T. (2018). Investigation of efficiency audit in the system of state financial control in Ukraine. Technology Audit and Production Reserves, 4(4), 25-30.
- INTOSAI. (1977). Lima Declaration of Control Guidelines: Declaration, International Document.
http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/604_001 (in Ukr.)
- Intosai. (2014). ISSAI 12 «The value and benefits of supreme audit institutions – the impact on the lives of citizens».
https://www.intosai.org/fileadmin/downloads/documents/open_access/INT_P_11_to_P_99/INTOSAI_P_12/issai_12_ru.pdf (in Russ.)
- Kaletnik, G., & Lutkovska, S. (2020). Strategic priorities of the system modernization environmental safety under sustainable development. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism, 11(5), 1124-1131.
- Kaletnik, G., Honcharuk, I., Yemchyk, T., & Okhota, Y. (2020). The world experience in the regulation of the land circulation. European Journal of Sustainable Development, 9(2), 557-568.
- Kaletnik, H., & Zdyrko, N. (2019). Public procurement in Ukraine as a state governance instrument: evaluation, control, improvement. Economic Annals-XXI, 179(9-10), 80-90.
- Kolesnyk, T., Samborska, O., Talavyria, M., & Nikolenko, L. (2018). Ensuring the sustainable development of the Ukrainian agrarian sector in conditions of globalization. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 16(3), 245-258.
- Korpaniuk, T., Ishchenko, Ya., & Koval, N. (2019). Backgrounds for improving resource management of agricultural enterprises based on economic diagnostics of biofuel consumption. The Journal of Social Sciences Research, 5(2), 367-380.
- Kozachenko, A., Panadiy, O., & Сhudak, L. (2019). Applied aspects of the distribution of spendings for management accounting and control. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 5(4), 116-121.
- Lohosha, R., Mykhalchyshyna, L., Prylutskyi, A., & Kubai, O. (2020). Institutionalization of the agrarian market in Ukraine and European economic community: genesis, evaluation and analysis. Independent Journal of Management & Production, 11(8), 727-750.
- Matveeva, N. (2020). State financial control: international experience. Financial Journal, 12(2), 69-95.
https://doi.org/10.31107/2075-1990-2020-2-69-95 (in Russ.)
- Shulha, A., & Zharovska, I. (2019). Methods of financial control of the state financial inspection of Ukraine. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 5(1), 245-249.
- State Audit Service of Ukraine. (2020). The State Audit Office of Ukraine is an effective institution of government control: a presentation of the activities of the State Audit Office.
http://www.dkrs.gov.ua/kru/uk/publish/article/131380 (in Ukr.)
- Transparency International Ukraine. (2020, October 28). Corruption Perceptions Index 2020.
http://cpi.ti-ukraine.org/# (in Ukr.)
- Trusova, N., Hryvkivska, O., Tanklevska, N., Vdovenko, L., Prystеmskyi, O., & Skrypnyk, S. (2019). Regional aspect of formation: The potencial of financial safety in agrarian enterprises of Ukraine. The Asian International Journal of Life Sciences, 21(1), 169-187.
- Umane, O. (2019). Modern organization of financial control. Uchet. Analyz. Audyt (Accounting. Analysis. Auditing), 6(5), 46-57.
https://doi.org/10.26794/2408-9303-2019-6-6-46-57 (in Russ.)
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. (1993, January 26). On the basic principles of public financial control in Ukraine: Law of Ukraine No. 2939-XII.
https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2939-12 (in Ukr.)
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. (2015, July 2). On the Accounting Chamber: Law of Ukraine No. 576-VIII.
https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/576-19 (in Ukr.)
- Zdyrko, N. (2016). Problem aspects of the internal state audit development. Economic Annals-XXI, 161(9-10), 85-90.
- Zdyrko, N., & Shevchuk, O. (2018). Public Financial Control in Ukraine: Current State and Prospects for Development. Ekonomika, Finansy, Menedzhment: Aktualni Pytannya Nauky i Praktyky (Economy, Finances, Management: Topical Issues of Science and Practical Activity), 33(5), 7-24 (in Ukr.).
Received in revised form 27.12.2020
Available online 28.02.2021