Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 193, Issue (9-10), Pages: 99-107
Abuova, A., Assanbayev, M., Assanbayeva, A., Kilybayev, T., & Basmurzin, T. (2021). University website as an Internet marketing tool: a case study of Kazakhstan. Economic Annals-XXI, 193(9-10), 99-107. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V193-12
PhD Student (Economics),
Faculty of Management and Marketing,
Almaty Management University
227 Rozybakiev Str., Almaty, 050060, Republic of Kazakhstan
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8707-1893
Abai Kazakh National Pedagogical University
13 Dostyk Ave., Almaty, 050010, Republic of Kazakhstan
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1130-0845
Al-Farabi Kazakh National University
71 Al-Farabi Ave., Almaty, 050040, Republic of Kazakhstan
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2224-3735
University website as an Internet marketing tool: a case study of Kazakhstan
Abstract. Today, more than ever, a university’s website is critical for the promotion of its mission, academic programs and services. Its communications with its target markets must be organized, professional and creative. A successfully created website design attracts visitors and, of course, should increase enrollment. A well-designed and clearly written university website will allow readers to receive all the needed and required information for them to make the proper decisions. Accordingly, research aimed at analyzing various issues of creating an effective university website is gaining significant relevance. The article discusses both the theoretical and practical issues of website activities. A selection of university websites has been analyzed and the issues and challenges discussed.
Keywords: Internet Marketing; Internet Marketing Tools; Website; University; Educational Services; Advertising
JEL Classifications: C40; B17
Acknowledgments and Funding: The authors received no direct funding for this research.
Contribution: The authors contributed equally to this work.
Data Availability Statement: The dataset is available from the authors upon request.
- Center for the Bologna Process and Academic Mobility of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. (2018). Analytical report on the implementation of the principles of the Bologna process in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Astana
https://enic-kazakhstan.edu.kz/uploads/additional_files_items/28/file_en/analiticheskiy-otchet-final-14-12-2018-1.pdf (in Russ.)
- Andrews, J. C., & Shimp, T. A. (2017). Advertising, promotion, and other aspects of integrated marketing communications (10th edition). Cengage Learning.
- Belch, G. E., & Belch, M. A. (2021). Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective (12th edition). Sydney. McGraw-Hill.
- Chaffey, D., & Smith, P. R. (2012). E-marketing excellence: planning and optimizing your digital Marketing (4th edition). Routledge.
- Connor, H., Pearson, R., Court, G., & Jagger, N. (1996). University Challenge: Student Choices in the 21st Century, A report to the CVCP. The Institute for Employment Studies.
- Hasan, L., Morris, A., & Probets, S. (2012). A comparison of usability evaluation methods for evaluating e-commerce websites. Behaviour & Information Technology, 31(7), 707-737.
- Hill, L. N., & White, C. (2000). Public Relations Practitioners’ Perception of the World Wide Web as a Communication Tool. Public Relations Review, 26(1), 31-51.
- Kang, S., & Norton, H. E. (2006). Colleges and universities’ use of the World Wide Web: a public relations tool for the digital age. Public relations Review, 32(4), 426-428.
- Kosyakov, M. A., & Shaidulina, T. T. (2016). Communication strategies of the leading Russian universities. Kreativnaya ekonomika (Creative economy), 10(7), 813-828.
https://doi.org/10.18334/ce.10.7.35578 (in Russ.)
- Kumar, V., Aaker, D. A., & Day, G. S. (2002). Essentials of marketing research (2nd edition). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marzena, F. (2015). Internet Website as a Tool of Communication in Scientific Institutions. Marketing of Scientific and Research Organizations, 18(4), 37-76.
- Nielsen, J., & Loranger, H. (2006). Designing Web Usability. Moscow: Williams, 376.
- Saitreport. (2018). Materials of the official web-site.
https://saitreport.ru/about_project (in Russ.)
- Sculley, D., Malkin, R. G., Basu, S., & Bayardo, R. J. (2009). Predicting bounce rates in sponsored search advertisements. In Proceedings of the 15th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining (KDD ‘09) (pp. 1325-1334). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA.
- Shanka, D. T., Quintal, V., & Taylor, R. (2006). Factors influencing international students’ choice of an education destination a correspondence analysis. Journal of marketing higher education, 15(2), 31-46.
- Singh, G., & Pant, R. (2013). Use of Internet for research and educational activities by research scholars. International journal of engineering and management sciences, 4, 193-199.
- The Brics. (2013). The QS University Ranking.
- Webometrics. (2018). The authoritative world ranking. Spanish National Research Council.
Received in revised form 29.08.2021
Available online 19.10.2021