Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 193, Issue (9-10), Pages: 146-151
Sáenz-Rodríguez, R. R., Ramirez-Asis, E. E., Dextre-Martinez, W. R., & Guerra-Muñoz, M. E. (2021). Cooperative learning enhances critical thinking in Peruvian economics university students. Economic Annals-XXI, 193(9-10), 146-151. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V193-18
William Rene Dextre-Martinez
Master of Business Management,
Santiago Antúnez de Mayolo National University
200 Centenario Str., Huaraz, 02002, Peru
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1481-0584
Cooperative learning enhances critical thinking in Peruvian economics university students
Abstract. Critical thinking, along with creative thinking, is a prerequisite for other life skills such as problem solving, decision making, effective communication and constructive relationships. A person who does not have the ability to think critically cannot evaluate multiple solutions to problems and choose the best method, and therefore will face multiple failures. Critical thinking enables one to evaluate existing ideas and solutions and select the best ones.
The purpose of this article is to examine the ability for critical thinking in management and objective factors influencing it. The survey was conducted over the year 2020. The proposed methodology is based on the descriptive and correlative statistics by a survey of 283 cases and by the questioner approach for data collection among the students in economic field of studies. The direct and main positive link between co-operational learning and critical thinking has been confirmed in our research.
Keywords: Economics Sciences; Cooperative Learning; University Student; Critical Thinking; Social Skills; Soft Skills
JEL Classifications: Е24; Е41
Acknowledgments and Funding: The authors received no direct funding for this research.
Contribution: The authors contributed equally to this work.
Data Availability Statement: The dataset is available from the authors upon request.
- Algharaibeh, S. A. S., & ALmomani, R. T. (2020). Critical Thinking among Al-Balqa Applied University Students. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 8(9), 3834-3841.
- Alvarez-Risco, A., Del-Aguila-Arcentales, Sh., Rosen, M. A., García-Ibarra, V., Maycotte-Felkel, S., & Martínez-Toro, G. M. (2021). Expectations and Interests of University Students in COVID-19 Times about Sustainable Development Goals: Evidence from Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, and Peru. Sustainability, 13(6), 3306.
- Chu, S. K. W., Reynolds, R. B., Tavares, N. J., Notari, M., & Lee, C. W. Y. (2021). 21st century skills development through inquiry-based learning from theory to practice. Springer International Publishing.
- Čučković, N., & Vučković, V. (2021). The effects of EU R&I funding on SME innovation and business performance in new EU member states: Firm-level evidence. Economic Annals, 228(66), 7-41.
- D’Alessio, F. A., Avolio, B. E., & Charles, V. (2019). Studying the impact of critical thinking on the academic performance of executive MBA students. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 31, 275-283.
- Druskat, V. U., & Kayes, D. Ch. (2000). Learning versus performance in short-term project teams. Small Group Research, 31(3), 328-353.
- Johnson, D. W., & Johnson, R. (2016). Cooperative learning and teaching citizenship in democracies. International Journal of Educational Research, 76, 162-177.
- Jucevičienė, P., & Vizgirdaitė, J. (2012). Educational empowerment of collaborative learning at the university. Social Sciences, 75(1), 41-52.
- Mahmood, M. S., & Othman, M. K. (2020). Learning Style Practices and Critical Thinking of Students in Malaysia. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 8(8), 3570-3578.
- Melnyk, L., Kubatko, O., Matsenko, O., Balatskyi, Y., & Serdyukov, K. (2021). Transformation of the human capital reproduction in line with Industries 4.0 and 5.0. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 19(2), 480-494.
- Sánchez, S., Rodríguez, A., García, R., Sanchez, A., Andreu, R., & Baiget, J. (2016). Habilidades sociales. España: Editorial Síntesis, SA Obtenido de. España: Editorial Síntesis.
- Silva Nieves, D., Fuster Guillén, D., Norabuena Figueroa, R. P., Ramírez Asís, E. H., & Aguirre Jiménez, A. B. (2020). Effects of problem-based learning on instrumental translation competence. Apuntes Universitarios, 10(3), 16-36.
- Žarković-Rakić, J., Krstić, G., Oruč, N., & Bartlett, W. (2019). Income inequality in transition economies: A comparative analysis of Croatia, Serbia and Slovenia. Economic Annals, 223(64), 39-60.
Received in revised form 9.08.2021
Available online 19.10.2021