Economic Annals-ХХI: Volume 194, Issue (11-12), Pages: 13-20
Makki, M. R., Kadhim, R. N., & Abed, A. R. (2021). Impact of the agricultural division on the Iraqi Balance of Payments using VAR analysis. Economic Annals-XXI, 194(11-12), 13-20. doi: https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V194-02
Mohammed Rasool Makki
Department of Accounting, Technical Institute,
Middle Technical University
Central Str., Kut, 52001, Iraq
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1661-9188
Ruaa Naseer Kadhim
Faculty of Administration & Economics,
Central Str., Kut, 52001, Iraq
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6858-997X
Impact of the agricultural division on the Iraqi balance of payments using VAR analysis
Abstract. The research aims to identify the impact of the agricultural division on the Iraqi balance of payments (IBP) for the period of 2004-2020. There is an integration between the two variables: the added value of the Iraqi agricultural division and the current account of the Iraqi balance of payments during the study period. VAR analysis has been employed to explain how the agricultural division can affect the Iraqi balance of payments. The statistical model has been investigated using unit root test along with the causality test, which was conducted based on the ARDL methodology. The study results indicated that it was needed to provide all facilities and privileges to investors in the agricultural division to reach self-sufficiency in basic agricultural crops. It was proposed to increase government spending on the non-oil sectors in general and the agricultural division to diversify the sources of income for the Iraqi economy and reduce dependence on oil as a source of basic income.
Keywords: Agricultural Division; Balance of Payments; Added Value; Economics; Iraqi Balance of Payments; IBP; Iraq; Basic Rent Income
JEL Classifications: E12; E24; D01
Acknowledgements and Funding: The authors received no direct funding for this research.
Contribution: The authors contributed equally to this work
Data Availability Statement: The dataset is available from the authors upon request.
- Adeniran, A., Jadah, H., & Mohammed, N. (2020). Impact of information technology on strategic management in the banking division of Iraq. Insights into Regional Development, 2(2), 592-601.
- Ibrahim, J. J. A., & Aqeel, A. A. (2021). The Rentier Nature of the Iraqi Economy and Its Role in Achieving Economic Development After 2003. Turkish Journal of Computer and Mathematics Education (TURCOMAT), 12(14), 3297-3310.
- Jasim, H. Z., & Naama, S. A. H. (2020). The Effects of the International Monetary Fund Loans on the Iraqi Government Performance: 2016 Loan as A Model. Multicultural Education, 6(1), 28-36.
- Jubair, B. N., & Alhiyali, A. D. K. (2018). An Economic study of the impact of foreign agricultural trade and some macroeconomic variables on the exchange rate in Iraq using the FMOLS model for the period (1990-2015). The Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Science, 49(4), 541.
- Lin, B., & Jia, Z. (2017). The impact of Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) and the choice of coverage industry in ETS: A case study in China. Applied Energy, 205, 1512-1527.
- Naama, S. A. H., & Jasim, H. Z. (2020). Iraq’s Sovereign Wealth Fund Is an Economic Necessity for Sustainable Development. Multicultural Education, 6(1), 9-18.
- Ryman-Tubb, N. F., Krause, P., & Garn, W. (2018). How Artificial Intelligence and machine learning research impacts payment card fraud detection: A survey and industry benchmark. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 76, 130-157.
- Yao, M., Di, H., Zheng, X., & Xu, X. (2018). Impact of payment technology innovations on the traditional financial industry: A focus on China. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 135, 199-207.
Received in revised form 29.09.2021
Available online 27.12.2021